We’ve been eating a lot of salads and meals from recipes lately, not coming up with a lot of creative ideas. I suppose that happens when you get really busy with every day life! Tonight, the abundance of leftovers in the fridge led to some forced creativity. We had half a kabocha squash, half a package of tofu, half a package of frozen spinach, half a package of vegan sausage, a little vegan mozzarella, a bit of parsley — all of which needed to be used immediately to avoid waste! (Ok, the spinach would have kept…) We improvised and somehow made the most delicious meal ever- seriously, this is to DIE for. It must have been destiny.
- 1 onion, finely diced
-1/2 winter squash, finely diced
-1 c frozen chopped spinach
-4 cloves garlic, mined
-2 links vegan sausage, diced
-12 oz firm tofu
-3 T nutritional yeast
-1/3 c soy millk
-1/3 pkg of vegan mozzarella, finely cubed
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
2. Saute onions and squash in olive oil for 5 minutes over medium high heat. Add spinach and cook another 5 minutes to allow all liquid to evaporate from the spinach. Add 3 cloves of the garlic and the sausage, continue to cook over medium heat until squash is tender, about another 5 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
3. Blend tofu, nutritional yeast, and one clove of garlic in a food processor. Add soy milk until the consistency is smooth like a thick yogurt. Flavor with salt to taste.
4. In a large bowl, stir together the veggie mixture, tofu mixture, and mozzarella.
5. Spray a casserole dish with non-stick spray. Place the mixture in the casserole and bake, covered with foil, for 15 minutes. Uncover and bake another 10 minutes.
6. Let cool for a minute or two to allow to set up. Top with a little chopped parsley!